I hope this finds you all well and that most of you have received
your vaccination jab, or are very close to having it.
I know one person who unfortunately hasn't been very well, (not
Covid related), and that is our vice Chair, Barbara Weir. We
send her all our very best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.
The Committee met this week, via Zoom, to discuss the details
and financial implications regarding the re-opening of the club,
in line with the dates announced by the government around its
'Roadmap' for the COVID-19 recovery strategy. As I'm sure many
of you are aware, outdoor hospitality can resume, with table
service only, from the 12th April, and all being well, pubs
and clubs can allow people indoors from the 17th May. Then,
with fingers and everything else crossed that there are no major
spikes, these restrictions will be lifted on the 21st June,
when all legal limits on social contact will be removed. HURRAY!!!!!!!!!!
Your Committee has taken the decision to not open the club on
the 12th April but to wait until Monday 17th May, when members
will be allowed back into both the bar and function room, pending
positive news from government figures. This is a decision that
has not been taken lightly, and has been based on sound advice
and two major factors. Firstly, and most unpredictably, is the
weather. The club cannot afford to be reliant on those 5 weeks
between the 12th April and the 17th May to be sunny and mild
enough to encourage people to sit out in the garden. For the
few hardy souls that may want to venture out we understand that
this will come as a disappointment, however we must consider
the club as a whole and in particular the second factor for
making this decision. This one is much more predictable and
relates to the financial implications of opening on the 12th
April. If we have a heat wave and have throngs of customers
sitting out in the garden then we will have missed out on taking
some decent money, however if the weather is dreadful and we
have hardly anybody turn up, then the club will risk making
a substantial loss. There is a risk of taking staff off the
Furlough scheme and having to pay their wages when there may
not be any customers, and also paying for stock that may not
be consumed and then go to waste just for the sake of 5 weeks.
During this unprecedented last year, with lockdown closures
and restrictions, the club has managed to maintain a strong
and stable financial position, due to excellent work by our
Treasurer, Mark Hurley, great stock management by our steward,
Jabba, and some decisive and prudent decision making from the
Committee. It would cancel out all that good work if we incurred
substantial losses at this late stage, so I ask that we all
be patient and wait until we can invite you back into the building
to have a proper sociable drink with each other, regardless
of weather and with full stock levels.
Other news to update you on is the confirmation that this year's
Beer Festival is cancelled again, with the lifting of restrictions
coming too late to save the event; however I'm delighted to
tell you that the Village Show will still take place later on
in the year, on the 11th September.
Also the club will be the new Polling station for Hopwas for
the upcoming local elections. Historically they have used Thomas
Barnes School however due to the current situation they have
looked for an alternative venue and our club is ideal.
Good to be doing our bit for the local community.
Finally, and because we are aware of all the time you've not
been able to attend your club, we are still deferring your membership
fees for this year and will be crediting those who have already
paid by direct debit.
Here's looking forward to you all returning to the club at some
stage after the 17th May, not only when you will get to see
all the improvements that have been carried out during lockdown,
but most importantly of all, when you will be able to meet up
and socialise with friends and members once again and enjoy
a drink or two in a safe and friendly environment.
Look forward to seeing you soon.